Patients that would have had surgery at Llandudno Hospital instead to receive care at Ysbyty Gwynedd

Original by Suzanne Kendrick, North Wales Pioneer - https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17960220.patients-surgery-llandudno-hospital-instead-receive-care-ysbyty-gwynedd/

Photo - North Wales Pioneer

SURGICAL procedures will be moving from Llandudno Hospital to Ysbyty Gwynedd.

 

This is part of a short term measure and comes as a result of a ‘short term gap’ in anaesthetic capacity.

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) said that surgical procedures will remain in Bangor until the end of March 2020.

A spokesperson from BCUHB said: “This is a short term measure to ensure we can continue to treat as many patients as possible with the resource we have available.

“We anticipate around 20 patients a week who would have had surgery at Llandudno Hospital will instead receive care at Ysbyty Gwynedd.

“It’s our intention to return planned care to Llandudno Hospital as soon as we can safely staff both hospitals.

“The pain clinic service currently provided on Maesdu Ward will continue to be delivered at Llandudno Hospital during this period.

Janet Finch-Saunders, AM for Aberconwy, said: "This is a really contentious issue as I have previously been provided with many assurances about service provision at our much valued Llandudno General Hospital

"Previous promises made at meetings of the Llandudno Hospital Action Group and those directly from chief executive Gary Doherty himself, include assurances that no further downgrades would happen here. The fact that the theatre is to be closed until April 20/20 due to staff shortages is alarming news and I fear the start of another slippery slope of service decline.

"Patients having to travel to Bangor is unacceptable and this is bad news for current staff. I have therefore raised this serious matter with the chairman of the BCUHB, seeking some further clarification on such a clinical crisis.

"I have also written to the Welsh Health Minister Vaughan Gething, who is currently directly responsible for the running of this health board that is now facing its fifth year in special measures."