Statement on North Wales broadband

On Wednesday 22nd June 2011, Janet Finch-Saunders AM asked the Minister for Business, Enterprise, Technology and Science: ‘What is being done to ensure quick and effective roll out of high speed broadband and better mobile phone reception across Wales?’

 

Janet said: “With the recent report from the UN recognising internet access as a human right, it is shameful that parts of Wales still do not have proper internet access and mobile phone coverage.

 

“Areas of my constituency, Aberconwy, do not have mobile phone signal or access to a broadband connection. This is a serious problem for small and medium sized enterprises who would benefit greatly from better communications access and the increased markets that quality internet access offers.

 

“TFL Marketing have said that last year there were still 30,000 homes still with no access to broadband and that it would take 28 years to bring effective broadband to these homes.

 

“This is not in line with the Welsh Government target for all businesses in Wales to have next generation broadband by mid-2016 and for all homes to have it by 2020.”

 

Janet will be meeting with representatives from FibreSpeed Broadband next week to discuss this issue further and will be keeping tabs on the Welsh Government’s action.